Saturday, March 30, 2013

Do This At Your Own Risk .....

I have received many emails with some questions concerning my recent "Sisters" Post ....
Here is the link for the Freebie "Sisters"

After you go to this link Scroll down & Click on the Blog category button called "make" ...
 you will find a section marked "free stitchery and patchwork patterns" & that is where you will find this adorable pattern.

I have also been asked how I am coloring this pattern.
I have never done this before but I am using colored pencils to do the initial coloring ...
That is the photo from the previous post.
But that is not completed.
Would you like to see the next step?

Take a fabric textile medium:
And paint it over the colored pencil ...
(place waxed paper under the stitched piece)
It will change the texture of the fabric ...
It's a little tricky ....
Be careful because the colors will run a little.
Clean brush between colors because you might transfer one color into the next if you are not careful
(yes this did happen to me but I was able to fix it)
Make sure you have a couple of white washcloths & some Q-tips ready to use for cleaning & perfecting the finished look.
 This process does enhance the colors ....
Let this dry & then iron the piece
(with a pressing cloth between your work and the iron)

Whats the reason for using fabric medium?
It will allow the fabric to be washed while maintaining the color.

Here is my completion of this step:
What do you think !!!!
If any of my readers have done this before & you have any useful tips please leave in the comment section for all to enjoy _
Thank you 
Now to attempt making the bag ...
Good Luck !!!!

16 comments:

Kris said...

Oh, Patty!! The finished piece is wonderful!! The colors are so vivid!! Thank you for answering the question about the coloring and the final phase!! Just to mkae sure, you stitched everything first and then applied the color, is that correct?? Thank you so much for sharing!!

diamondc said...

Wow is what I say, how cute is this pattern and then to do the painting after you finish stitching, you are very brave.
Congratulation on this lovely piece.
Catherine

Vickie said...

Very sweet. A Happy, Blessed Easter to you.

Catherine said...

So cute!

♥ Nia said...

Lovely work :)

gracie said...

Thank you my friend for sharing your expertise....

Margaret said...

Oh, so interesting! I was wondering how you colored it too! Fantastic! Thanks for the link too. I don't know if I will ever stitch it, but I love it and would love to have the freebie.

Melanie said...

Very nifty little idea. I never heard of using fabric medium like that. Looks great - congrats on finishing.

Koala said...

Thank you , Patty, for explaining everything - I have a kit with a printed pattern which needs to be pinted as well and I didn' t have any idea how to approah it :-)

NotionNanny said...

That is amazing. I will have to try that technique. www.notionnanny.blogspot.com

NotionNanny said...

That is amazing. I will have to try that technique. www.notionnanny.blogspot.com

cucki said...

So sweet..thank you for sharing x

Cindy's Stitching said...

that is really pretty.

marly said...

I got lost after "colored pencils". You did a fabulous job!

Teresa S. said...

Your coloring technique is similar to that taught by Meg Hawkey of Crabapple Hill. Except she uses crayons to color with before stitching. Then heat setting with paper towel between project and iron. Then stitching.

Love it!

Stitches said...

I love your Red Brolly Sisters and just like her patterns and work. I am still working on her free Christmas quilt from a yr. ago. I have been wanting to try that colored pencil coloring
With the fabric medium. Yours looks real nice and it got me inspired...great job!,

Blog Archive